2015 is going to be wrapping up this week, which means I am coming up on another year of blogging coming to an end. This year flew past, but that may have a large part to do with being pregnant for a good chunk of it and counting down my pregnancy. I am really looking forward to 2016 because I have plans, plans I intend to work very hard on. I cannot wait to see where another year of blogging takes me, but before I share my hopes and plans for the new year lets take a look back on 2015…
2015’s Memorable Moments
- January We started off the new year by going for a walk outside at Lighthouse Park. I finally shared about our experience flying with a toddler, and of course all about Disneyland at Christmas time! I challenged myself and entered my first ever 5km race.
- February We took Evie to our local zoo for the first time since she was 6 months old. I inquired how you shared with others that you were expecting a baby. My friend Tairalyn organized a fun art night for many of us where we got to recreate a Van Gogh. We celebrated Family Day here in BC by going to the beach on a very rainy day.
- March Our toddler needed a lot of fresh air and time outside to get her energy out. My whole family drove down to Seattle to go to the Woodland Park Zoo and for cheesecake! I shared about some of my hopes for my daughter, and we attempted to start potty training.
- April We talked about how a rainbow is a promise, and announced that we were expecting our second rainbow baby! I shared my first pregnancy update at 12 weeks. I shared my fears about how the world around us will impact my daughter.
- May During this month we discovered just how much our daughter loves sushi! I realized just how well my daughter knows me. We took our oldest to her preschool open house day, and she did so well while there. I reached 18 weeks in my pregnancy, and soon after we found out if we were having a boy or a girl.
- June I had a 3D ultrasound performed at home so that we could see our baby girl. I mastered my tatertot nacho recipe. My husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary. We explored local parks, and found streams to go splash in to keep cool.
- July At 26 weeks pregnant I volunteered at my favourite summer camp on Anvil Island with my family. Evie’s been taking swimming lessons since she was 6 months old, I shared a bit about why we feel it’s important to learn to swim. We experienced on of the driest summers in awhile, and danced outside when it finally rained! I found myself working through how I was feeling being pregnant after a loss. If you didn’t save it or Pin it the first time you will want to now, this is the best banana cake and icing recipe around!
- August We went away as a family of 3 to Harrison knowing it could be our last before our little girl arrived in a couple months. I’m still wanting someone to explain why plus size maternity fashion has to be so difficult to find, I never did find a pair of jeans I liked. My husband and I lost our marbles. I set my health and fitness goals for the coming year back then, and I am starting to work towards them now. I was putting my foot down for when it came to labor, delivery, and hospital visits this time round.
- September Body image during and after pregnancy became something I wanted to remain very positive about. Evie officially started preschool… goodness she looks so grown up in the photos. We had some beautiful, fall themed maternity photos taken to remember this moment in the pregnancy. 36 weeks pregnant and I felt like I was in the final countdown.
- October One of my favourite seasons was finally here, fall, which meant decorating pumpkins. I finally packed my hospital bags for baby and I. My family had their traditional Thanksgiving Picnic and I was still very pregnant. If you are looking for a great sugar cookie recipe, this is the one you want. Early in the morning on October 15th we welcomed our second daughter, Addie, into the world after a fast and furious labour. I’ve learned to love the way my body looks postpartum. Evie went as a kitty for halloween.
- November Shared about our first halloween with two kiddos. We booked our live Christmas tree. We had gorgeous newborn photos taken of Addie, and a few photos of Evie got snuck in there too. Evie started ballet class, and her love of dancing has grown. This mommy still has a love-hate relationship with Costco.
- December had me pondering what to wear for my ever changing body apres baby. I finally put into words something about friendship that I know many of us have experienced. We celebrated Evie’s 3rd birthday with her friends by hosting a high tea party. We went to Whistler for a short visit, and are now planning to make it a yearly getaway. We went snowshoeing for the first time as a family thanks to baby wearing, and I am now hooked on it, plus it’s gorgeous up the Sea to Sky Gondola. Speaking of baby wearing you have to check out the soft, bamboo fabric wraps from Beluga Baby, and I also love my Ergobaby Carrier. We ended things off by getting all shook up from a 4.7 ish magnitude earthquake and I am now in panic mode to get our emergency kit put together.
Where is this blog going in 2016?
I am looking to the year ahead, and thinking about where I want this blog to go, do I even want to continue blogging? I’ve seen the good, the bad, and the ugly since I started blogging. Thankfully it’s mostly been good. I have been discouraged by the bad, and the ugly and debated stopping on a couple occasions. Ultimately I want to remain at a place where I am happy about blogging, and that it brings me joy. I am so thankful for the experiences that I have had from doing this, and the opportunities that have come my way.
I am also incredibly thankful for so many people who have come into my life thanks to doing this. Several friendships have formed that wouldn’t have without this, I never would have met some of the wonderful people I know now and consider dear friends. Even one of my daughter’s besties was met thanks to blogging! I have surrounded myself with people who are sources of knowledge and encouragement, and also who keep me level headed and focused. I am so grateful to everyone, to everyone who takes the time to read my blog each day I post something new. It means a lot to me. Thank you for a wonderful 2015!
I want to be open and share some of my goals, and some changes you may see in the coming year.
Blogging Goals for 2016
- Write more from the heart, and in a more raw way like I have allowed my self to do just a handful of times
- Go in the direction of being more of a Life Style Blogger
- Interact more with my blog readers, and those who take the time to comment. Please also don’t hesitate to say hi if you are local and ever spot me
- Purge and update old posts
- Grow my Discovering Parenthood Facebook, Instagram following
- Increase the number of page views
- Get a new to me camera for blogging, the one we have is just too heavy to lug around
Blog Changes in 2016
- New header image possibly to give a more classic look to my blog
- Less mommy blogger… maybe? We will see as my family is my heart, but you may see less of them on it depending on the direction I take this blog
- Ad space might occur
- More posts by my husband, why, because he is a great writer and I want to encourage him to do it more often. I’d love for this to become more of a duo project.
2016 will very likely be a year of growing pains for this blog. I hope you will stick with me through all of it. I will need some support and encouragement a long the way, I couldn’t do this without all of you! I hope you will see the next year through with me too.