We are all still thinking about our recent getaway to Summerland. We fell in love with that place. Evie has been talking about her favourite things from the trip, and I felt it was only fitting to put together a post dedicated to Evie’s Summerland Trip Favourites.
- Walking the Pier: She loved getting to throw rocks into the lake, and go running down the pier. She however was not a fan of all the spider webs. It’s right on the beach, so as soon as we got out of the car Evie was asking for her sand castle bucket. Which sadly I had a mommy-fail moment because I forgot to pack it.
- Animals + Farming: While you might not think a winery would be on a kids list of favourite places, this one sure is. Okanagan Crush Pad is a family friendly place with ducks, chickens, and sheep that wander through the vineyard. Evie loved getting to see all of the different animals, and was particularly taken with a baby duckling. She was also thrilled to be asked to help with collecting the chicken eggs. You can only imagine her excitement when she was told she could keep them and take them home! The paths through the vineyard were covered in dandelion puffs, which provided the opportunity to make hundreds, and hundreds of wishes.
- Hotels are Fun: Evie has renamed queen size beds to princess beds. We told her she would be getting her own queen bed, and she kept calling it a princess bed the whole trip. It was so cute seeing her sleep in the middle of this massive bed. Plus hotel beds are the best place to be a little monkey, and jump on the bed. Evie was also a huge fan of the “warm tub”, and hot tub at Summerland Waterfront Resort. Getting to go swimming each day put a smile on her face. It was like she turned into a mermaid overnight. Last year there was no way she would let go of us and swim on her own. With her water floaties on, she was good to go. Swimming laps around the pool. Having Daddy swimming in the pool meant getting to jump into his arms, and be tossed high into the air.
- Going on an Adventure: We got to go on a tour of some of the places in, and around Summerland. While Evie only came for the first half, it still was a highlight for her. She loved getting to ride on a bus, and see the sights. Plus it meant another one of her favourites happened.
- Ice Cream: This was probably the big highlight, besides the pool. She got to enjoy a large ice cream on a waffle cone. Thankfully she did share, and I’d have to agree with her, it was some of the best ice cream I have had in a long time.
- The Park with a Slide: Sure many parks have slides, but not like this. There was a slide down into the park area that kids can go down instead of taking the stairs! How fun is that? Evie had to climb up the stairs, and go down the slide several times. Whoever came up with this idea was a brilliant person. It’s a great way to tucker out a preschooler before a long drive home.
These are the things that stick out in Evie’s mind from our trip. These are her memories from our family vacation. It amazes me daily how incredible her memory is, I know she will remember all of this, and more for a long time to come.
After hearing her talk about the trip so much since we got home, I am going to make sure I ask her what her favourite moments, and things are from trips for now on. I want to document and remember what she says. It will be interesting to see what is important to her as she grows up.
More to come later this week on our Summerland trip. I’ve got one more post for all of you with a full summary of what exactly we got up to in Summerland, with lots of photos! Stay tuned.