Who likes going camping? Who here loves making s’mores? Several Summers back I learned how to make s’mores a different way while volunteering in the kitchen at the Summer camp we go to. Instead of using a camp fire, we would bake the graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate in the oven and then top them all with another graham cracker very quickly. It’s very effective, but sometimes you do not want to turn an oven on, so is there another way to enjoy s’mores?
There sure is! Keep it simple by making fire ban s’mores. These were introduced to me by a friend and my daughter has been asking me to make them ever since the first time she tried one. Give these a try the next time you go camping, or you want to have a simple treat at home.
- 12 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate sauce
- 4 - 6 graham crackers
- 12 paper straws
- 1 ziplock bag
- Prepare the marshmallows by inserting paper straws into each one.
- Place the graham crackers into the ziplock bag and smash them to small pieces or into powder, whichever is your preference. Use a spoon to crush the graham crackers or a rolling pin.
- You will need to melt the semi sweet chocolate chips, if you have access to a microwave you can use that. Or if you are still allowed a camping stove, melt them using a hot water bath. Either way just remember to keep stirring to melt evenly.
- You can dip the marshmallows into the melted chocolate or use a knife to coat the marshmallows.
- Then sprinkle or dip the marshmallows into the smashed graham crackers.
- Allow the chocolate to set.
- If you use chocolate sauce, like what is used on ice cream sundaes, the chocolate sauce may not set as well but it is just as yummy. Sprinkle them quickly with the graham crackers and eat right away. Prepare for sticky fingers.