Today I was going to do a Wordless Wednesday post with lots of images from our trip to Disneyland. Things changed though when I was driving home last night and the song “Dear Younger Me” by Mercy Me came on the radio and it made me start thinking about many different things that by the end of the song I was a teary mess. What would I say to younger me if I were to write a letter to myself?
Dear younger me
Where do I start
If I could tell you everything that I have learned so far
Then you could be
One step ahead
Of all the painful memories still running thru my head
I wonder how much different things would be
Dear younger me…
The song goes on from there and so much of it hit home for me. That’s probably why I was in tears. Oh did this song ever resonate with me; the pain, challenges, heartache and so much more. Would I change it? No. It’s all part of what makes me who I am. There are some things that I probably would have loved to have known.
Dear younger me…
- Love yourself. You will go through difficulties in regards to how you look and feel about yourself. You’re beautiful inside and out. “It’s hard to be happy when someone is mean to you all the time. Be nice to yourself.”
- You’re going to be hurt emotionally, physically, and more. You will be fine and you will get past it. Remember to hand it all over to God sooner when going through trials.
- You will fall in love with the man of your dreams and the love of your life. Patience. Don’t worry about how everyone else is in a relationship or dating. He will come into your life at the right time.
- You will go through heartbreak from the loss of two children through miscarriage. You will never be able to prepare for this, but you will always remember and honour them.
- You will be blessed with two incredible little girls. Your whole world is about to get flipped upside down. Motherhood. Parenting. It’s so worth it!
- Continue to be loving and kind. Others will try to bring you down because of it. Keep being you.
- Trust. Sometimes you just need to take that leap of faith. Do it, get past that fear!
- Don’t let fear take control of your life. Try new things. You will get past your anxiety and so much more.
- Things will change. Change is good.
Honestly, my list does keep going but I am going to keep it at that. Songs like “Dear Younger Me” bring me back to Psalm 139 and the verse about God knowing the days that were formed for me before I was even born. As I was knit together in my mother’s womb, God knew everything about me. It’s incredible to me. I have gone through everything in my life each day and the days to come because these are the days of my life. I wouldn’t change them.
Have you heard this song before, if not, go give it a listen. You can find it HERE.
After you’ve listened to it what would you want to go back in time and tell yourself?
Every mountain every valley
Thru each heartache you will see
Every moment brings you closer
To who you were meant to be
Dear younger me, dear younger meYou are holy
You are righteous
You are one of the redeemed
Set apart a brand new heart
You are free indeed